Singletons Nurseries is a family business established more than 70 years ago. John Singleton and his wife Claire work closely together at the family nursery. They both trained at Pershore Horticultural College in Growing and Production and Garden Design and Floristry.
Established in 1947 by brothers Charles and Jack Kinder, the nursery started out as ‘Kinder Brothers at Harborne Lane Nurseries’. The brothers mainly grew exhibition chrysanthemums, vegetable plants and bedding plants. The business developed when the brothers bought a shop in Northfield for John’s mother, Emma Peggy Singleton. After leaving school, John went on to train at Pershore Horticultural College and, upon completing his studies, he took over the work of his uncles. It was at this point that he renamed the garden centre as Singletons, after his father Lionel Singleton.
The business moved to its current Lydiate Ash location in 2001, where it sits on 11 acres of land. Growing from strength to strength, business expansion has included more commercial growing, a landscaping division and most recently, the opening of The Potting Shed Café in 2016, which has been a great success.